Monday, September 19, 2011

A ''brave new world'' of human connections




During the first year of my master I had a teacher who used to be a very renowned lawyer and was now teaching transformative conflict resolution strategies. One day after class I asked her why she gave up such a promising career as a lawyer to teach transformative mediation. Her answer was simple and short: because I never felt that I really solved a conflict I just fixed it. 

Conflict resolution is an art, a science and a knowledge that is universal. Everywhere around the world, every minute there are conflicts and people try to manage them and to solve them. The skills needed to succeed in a conflict intervention are based on dialogue and a wire of human connections. Every emotion has its place in an interaction between people who try to communicate, to understand each other and to build a world of possibilities based on respect and empathy. Nonetheless sometimes we just need somebody to assist us in highlighting the positive and universal capacity of human beings to connect to each other. 

Now I understand better what my teacher meant by wanting to really solve a conflict and not only fixing it; she wanted to address more than the legal issue, she needed to repair the lost human connection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment